[time-nuts] WWVB SDR discussion

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Aug 11 23:02:54 UTC 2020

Hi

The problem with the crystal is that it has a temperature coefficient. As a
narrow band filter, it will have a *lot* of delay. Crystal resonance moves
(with temperature) and the delay changes.

How much delay depends a lot on a bunch of fiddly details. A 10 to 100 Hz wide
bandpass could easily have delay in the > 100 ms range.

How much change?

The crystal could be in the 10’s of ppm / C range (might be lower, could be higher).
At 60K Hz 10 ppm is 0.6 Hz. With a modest sort of basement temperature swing
you *could* get 10% of the delay changing around.

Yes, that’s a bunch of guesses.

Net result would be delay variation in the 1 to 10 ms range.

Bob