[time-nuts] WWVB SDR discussion

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 02:27:33 UTC 2020

How do the small AM WWVB clocks work then. They use the 60 KHz crystal and
they don't actually do anything special. In measuring those clocks they are
about 2-6 hz wide. On the spectracoms the crystal is huge. Looks like a HC6
but 3" long. About 1-2 Hz wide.
Using the same small crystals in BPF filters does work and does not
seriously change within reasonable temperature. The one thing they do
is follow the crystal with a hi Z amplifier.
Just saying they work for all those atomic clocks for $10.
But back to the discussion here. Need some gain and filtering. There are
many good answers.
John night time is cheating. I get seriously crazy levels in Boston many
nights.
Enjoying the thread.
Regards
Paul.