[time-nuts] WWVB SDR discussion

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Aug 12 14:11:52 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Aug 11, 2020, at 10:27 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How do the small AM WWVB clocks work then. They use the 60 KHz crystal and
> they don't actually do anything special. In measuring those clocks they are
> about 2-6 hz wide.

They pop up once a night and grab time from WWVB. The rest of the day, they
drift around based on their local crystal oscillator. If they are off by 1/10 second,
there are very few people who are going to notice ….

> On the spectracoms the crystal is huge. Looks like a HC6
> but 3" long. About 1-2 Hz wide.

Which is how 60 KHz crystals were done before the watch industry converted to
crystals. The larger package *might* give you higher Q and better TC. That’s not
from the package, but from the cut of crystal you would be able to use in the
bigger package.

> Using the same small crystals in BPF filters does work and does not
> seriously change within reasonable temperature. The one thing they do
> is follow the crystal with a hi Z amplifier.

The high-z amp is needed to keep losses down.

This is not a super duper hard circuit to model. Drop it into LTSpice and take a
look. The motional parameters for the crystal can be derived from it’s resistance
and Q ….

Bob