[time-nuts] WWV / WWVB Reference Feed

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Aug 13 03:36:12 UTC 2020

Don,

The main NIST frequency standards lab is in Boulder, CO where UTC(NIST)
is maintained. They have a large ensemble of clocks, ranging from
commercial cesium clocks and H-masers to "homebrew" cesium fountains and
optical clocks. The WWV/WWVB transmitters an hour north in Fort Collins,
CO and use a couple of 5071A cesium standards as their local reference.
Last I saw, Ft Collins is held synchronous with UTC(NIST) using one or
more "common view" systems. An example of such a system is:

https://www.nist.gov/programs-projects/frequency-measurement-and-analysis-service-fmas

Note that common view GPS does not mean they use GPS's time (that would
be silly). I can explain more if you want.

See also the "NIST Disciplined Oscillator", which is a clever way to get
NIST traceable time & frequency (legal metrology stuff):

https://www.nist.gov/publications/nist-disciplined-oscillator
https://www.nist.gov/publications/nist-disciplined-oscillator-delivering-utcnist-calibration-laboratory
https://www.nist.gov/publications/nist-frequency-measurement-and-analysis-system-operators-manual

/tvb