[time-nuts] "The Penultimate HP5065 A15"

timeok at timeok.it timeok at timeok.it
Thu Aug 13 05:52:45 UTC 2020

   I noticed that HP made a particular choice about connecting the ground side lamp power supply. HP use a coaxial cable between the physical assembly and a connector mounted on the chassis, then a single + 20V wire is connected to the voltage regulator board, while the chassis acts as a negative connection.

   This solution reflects the technology of a "few years ago", now it would be unthinkable.

   My fear is that other currents circulating on the chassis affect, even if minimally, the power supply voltrage of the lamp. In one of my 5065As I kept the smc connector isolated and with a female smc connectorized coaxial cable I got directly to the 20Volts regulator. I think it is useful in an update of our HP5065A.

   Luciano

   Luciano P. S. Paramithiotti
   timeok at timeok.it
   www.timeok.it