[time-nuts] Oscillatek 2352

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Fri Aug 14 00:27:38 UTC 2020

ed wrote:

> I'd recommend against offsetting the device ground   *   *   *

> In actual application, you should go ahead and provide the +/-
> tune voltage range. It's a little more complicated since you'll need a
> negative supply or offset   *   *   *

> It's fairly easy to make quiet, low current negative supplies from the
> +12 V, if no other ready source is available from the system.

The dawning of the low voltage, rail-to-rail opamp age has created a new
class of low-power, inverting switching ICs with integrated, low-voltage
negative regulators.  These are designed to offset the opamp's negative
supply rail below ground so that RRO opamps can truly pull their outputs
all the way to ground, not just within millivolts.  Two good examples
are the LM7705 ("low noise negative bias generator") and the LTC1550,
but the list is expanding every quarter.

Note that these inverters use internal oscillators at frequencies much
lower than 10MHz, so there is a possibility of mixing and beating as Ed
noted.  Also, anyone going this way should make sure the regulator
output is sufficient to handle the oscillator's needs under all conditions.

Best regards,

Charles