[time-nuts] HP 58503A GPS receiver not locking to GPS

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 04:00:48 UTC 2020

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 02:55, Eric Garner <garnere at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you manually set the date/time yet?
>
> Last time I powered mine up. I had to update the current time and date and
> it locked right up.
>
> -Eric

Yes, I have set time, date, location and antenna height.

When I first switched it on a few days ago I didn’t. It gave no information
about any satellites at all. Then I set the date and location, and it
appears that it is seeing some satellites, in that it’s trying to lock to a
few.

It has just crossed my mind that I set the time to GPS time, not UTC,
although I doubt an 18 s error is going to be significant, but I can reset
the time to UTC.

Dave.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom