[time-nuts] HP10811

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 04:01:25 UTC 2020

Hello All,
I have been sorting my photographs to pass the time and I came across
two shots of a fault in some HP10811 oscillators.
The varicap diode is connected to a bias resistor and the transistor
via a joint on a ferule in a teflon bush. This has not been soldered
correctly, the solder has not wet all the leads. Perhaps the operator
had been told not to “cook” the joint by taking to long, but in at
least two units out of the four that I own, the joint was not properly
soldered, and in one case the EFC did not work. A couple of seconds
with a soldering iron and it works perfectly.
The units obviously worked on final test, but silver plated component
leads can tarnish over 20 years and go OC. Even with a gold plated
ferule.
Cheers, Neville Michie