[time-nuts] ! PPS Source

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Aug 15 18:32:47 UTC 2020

Hi Ed,

 > I'm also aware that some people have come up with external
 > sawtooth correction, using programmable digital delay lines
 > and special control circuits.

For decades fellow time nut Rick Hambly has done hands-on work with GPS
receiver timing, including sawtooth correction. Here's a recent version
of his classic series of presentations:

https://www.cnssys.com/files/TOW/High-accuracy_Time_and_Frequency_in_VLBI_2019_sem.pdf

His "CNS clock" was an example of a GPS/1PPS source that used the delay
technique to reduce sawtooth effects. The paper is worth a look; lots of
good info packed along with plenty of plots and photos.

Note that his most recent version of the CNS clock no longer uses the
delay technique. I can explain more if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

 > But, why do all that if you can just fix the clock instead?

Because it is not possible for you or me to "fix the clock instead".
That's a complex business and design decision inside the GPS chip
itself. Almost every DIY or commercial GPSDO uses an off-the-shelf GPS
receiver chip or PCB, so you work with what you can get. Those GPS
modules all use some tiny carefully-specified free-running internal
oscillator for signal sampling, computing, and output pulse generation.

Trimble was in a unique position when the GPSDO era began because they
made both GPS chips and a GPSDO product. For them the integrated OCXO
and GPS receiver design was possible. Even hp couldn't do that.

 > I think the clock is a Motorola brand odd looking TCXO, labeled "19096"
 > or something like that, probably 19.096 MHz, as I recall.

That sounds right. See http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/vp/sawtooth.htm
and note Dr Clark's mention of 9.54 MHz, which would be half your 19.096.

 > 1. If the GPS RX module's internal clock is synthesized (to the same
 > nominal frequency) from the 10 MHz output of the GPSDO, can that
 > alone eliminate or substantially reduce the sawtooth effect?

Yes. But it would also create a list of other technical concerns. I'd
probably rather have to deal with sawtooth than having to deal with DDS
artifacts or phase noise requirements. And now your GPS chip won't even
boot or work right if the user's 10 MHz isn't there, or isn't accurate
enough, or is still warming up, or if the user's 10 MHz has too much
phase noise or instability.

 > 2. Does the T-bolt actually do this, and if so, is that all it takes?

Yes, we think so. But remember they had control over everything; the GPS
chip, the firmware, and the specification of the OCXO.

 > If either answer is yes, then I would think the GPS RX makers would
have provisions
 > for external clock reference, at least for certain high-grade timing
type models.

Yes, very high-grade timing receivers require, or allow, external
frequency inputs. I've seen some in operation at national timing labs.
When I heard they cost $20k I decided sawtooth correction wasn't so bad
after all. ;-)

It seems sawtooth bothers you. There are sawtooth effects in many parts
of technology; from printer dots to PC clocks; from calendars to leap
seconds. The goal isn't always to eliminate but rather to fully
understand the effects. The fact that GPS timing receivers output
quantization corrections should be seen as a good thing; it gives the
user maximum information.

/tvb