[time-nuts] Symmetricom 58536A

Frank O'Donnell time at inkbox.net
Tue Aug 18 00:57:28 UTC 2020

Thanks much, Kevin, interesting point. If I connect the Tbolt to the
PD5120's DC Block port, and another GPSDO to the DC Pass port, Heather
shows the Tbolt's status with "Tracking satellites" in green. However,
"Antenna open" continues to display in yellow.

But it seems there was a more mundane explanation here. While moving
cables around, I noticed that Heather's status display changed when I
repositioned the cable between the splitter and the Tbolt. After
replacing it with a fresh cable, the Tbolt is now working fine with the
58536A.

If I can throw out another question, I'm not entirely clear on how the
58536A handles bias voltages from multiple receivers. There is a label
with "DC Power" and an arrow next to each of its four receiver ports.
The Symmetricom information note on the unit that I was able to find
doesn't say anything at all about bias voltages. I've heard two
conflicting statements from other users. One said the 58536A defaults to
using only port 1 for bias voltage (unlikely to me, given the labels).
Another said the 58536A combines any voltages present on any of the
receiver ports and passes them on to the antenna, but blocks any from
going back to any of the receivers (sounds more likely). Does anyone
believe they have the last word on this?

Thanks again,

Frank