[time-nuts] WWVB PM Time Questions

rcbuck at atcelectronics.com rcbuck at atcelectronics.com
Wed Aug 19 20:59:15 UTC 2020

Paul and Rodger,

I used the actual transformer, YCL 20F001NG, and 1N4148 diodes like the
schematic shows. I isolated the grounds on the mixer because Rodger had
a note in the document saying he was picking up noise.

I experimented with the 60 kHz drive level and increased it to 285 mV
Pk-Pk, which is about -7 dBm. I also put a 50 ohm load between pins 1
and 3. I now see the sine wave on pin 1. But should it require that
amount of drive into the RF port?

What level of signal do you have coming out of your preamp circuits to
the mixer? If you have -7dBm that means your preamp has about 60 dB of
gain assuming a WWVB signal of 100 uV. I used 620 ohm resistors to drive
the MC34151 pins 10 and 15 which should be plenty of drive.

If I do a 5 second capture of the output from pin 1, I see the phase
reversals. The reversals are not always on the zero crossing point of
the wave. That is probably because of no phase coherence between the
input signal and the phase flips as Rodger said.

The signal is also no longer a sine wave but I believe that is due to
the limited memory in my scope. It is an old Tektronix TDS 2014B. I
really need to buy something more modern. This project may be an excuse
to do so.

Paul, what program did you use for the new attached schematic? It has a
.sch extension. I don't know what board program you used. Is it possible
to print the schematic to a PDF and attach it to your next message?

Ray