[time-nuts] Dead 5065A - Some comments - Some questions... (III)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Aug 27 13:15:48 UTC 2020

Hi

Unless you are going to dig in and rebuild the microwave part of the physics package,
you are limited in terms of what you can or can’t do. The SRD setup seems to be a bit
unique in the 5065 so messing with it probably isn’t a good idea.

Common wisdom is that there is a filter in the cavity match that is specific to 60 MHz.
Putting in 120 MHz apparently does not work well. I haven’t tried it so I’m just passing
on what I’ve heard.

The 60 MHz is multiplied to the 6 GHz region. That increases it’s phase noise by the
well known 20 log N. With N > 100, noise on that side goes up by > 40 db.

The “other” signal (normally 5.3x MHz) is mixed with the multiplied 60 MHz. The net
phase noise is the sum of the noise on the two carriers. You get the noise contribution
on both carriers at 137 Hz offset *and* the far remove noise on the 60 MHz at a
5.3 MHz offset.

All of that is just basic mix and multiply stuff. If a mixer didn’t transfer modulation that
way, a super heterodyne radio would have a really hard time doing it’s thing … ( =
think of the 5.3x as the signal from the antenna and the 6.x GHz as the VFO input
to the mixer).

Fun !!

Bob