[time-nuts] EOL Motorola Oncore Remote Antenna

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Tue Dec 1 10:40:54 UTC 2020

Jim, I agree. As part of my OSA 8607A GPSDO project I planned to place the OCXO in an aluminium box to eliminate pressure change. Step one included buying a separate unit to make sure the rubber gasket did do the job. Attached first results. Temperature does change pressure more than ambient. The vertical steps are the result of gentle tightening the lid, did not know how much lid had to be tightened. Now I know and have a 10 day test running. With AC running, the AC control at the other end of the house lab temperature stays within ! C. Today a cold front hit, no AC and temperature will drop more than 1 C. Taking advantage of the forecast I am extending the test for a couple more days.                                                                                                       Doe to the low power dissipation of the 8607 fan cooling is not an option but I will use the box , seal it and characterize the 8607 for pressure and temperature and use external pressure and temperature sensors for compensation once combined with a new generation GPSDO.

I'll bet pressure changes inside the "sealed" radome due to temperature
changes are bigger than those due to local barometer changes.

But an interesting thing - water vapor will go through cracks, porosity,
that liquid water will not. The commercial success of GoreTex is an
example of this, but cracks, o-rings that aren't quite right, etc. are
also ways it can happen.

Making a truly hermetic box is hard.