[time-nuts] 5370B / TimeLab question

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Dec 1 22:52:48 UTC 2020

Hi Skip,

You are exactly right. And, surprisingly, this is correct and normal for
most TI counters.

The short answer is -- for your use case, a *zero deadtime* time
interval counter (TIC) or a timestamping counter (TSC), is what you want.

----

The long answer is -- your problems is due to counter dead time. That
is, in TI mode, the counter waits for chA, and then waits for chB, and
then calculates and reports the chB-chA time interval measurement. The
latter takes finite time and depending on the counter it may consume
milliseconds or even tens of milliseconds. Part of it is CPU time, part
of it is I/O time (GPIB, RS232/USB, even LAN takes time).

So as chB drifts far away from chA, the next chA may occur during the
short busy measurement report window while the counter is "blind". The
counter then has to wait for the *next* next chA and this results in a
reduction in measurement rate from exactly 10 sps to exactly 5 sps.
Annoying as it is, it's actually a nice way to measure the counter's
deadtime ;-)

Note that this problem occurs with any TI measurement, but it is much
worse with a DMTD, so that's why you ran into already! If you were to
compare a OCXO/1PPS against a GPS/1PPS you might have to wait *years*
before a 1 s phase wrap, a counter deadtime issue, occurred.

You see, a DMTD is a huge magnifier. The good news is that it magnifies
phase difference and magnifies short-term instability by a factor of,
say, 500,000. The bad news is that it also magnifies phase wrapping by
500,000. So instead of having an annoying 1 s phase wrap every couple of
years, or even once a lifetime, you're going to see it happen every
couple of hours

----

Ok, that said, one solution to this mess is to use a timestamping
counter (TSC) instead of a time interval counter (TIC). Yes, your
TAPR/TICC will work perfectly for this. In fact, this is the main reason
that the TICC was designed to be a flexible dual, independent,
simultaneous, zero-deadtime, chA-*and*-chB timestamping counter instead
of a traditional hardcoded chA-*to*-chB time interval counter.

Another solution is to use a microcontroller-based timer that can do
multi-channel timestamp captures. I have used synchronized picPET's for
this in the past. But more recently, for Corby's new DMTD, I created a
six channel timer that can do timestamping or *zero deadtime* time
interval measurements. Right now this solution works better than a 5370B
or 53132A at 1/100th the price.

Still, if you have a TAPR/TICC use that instead of your 5370B.

/tvb