[time-nuts] HP5061 Cesium ion pump question

vilgotch1 at gmail.com vilgotch1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 10:46:58 UTC 2020

I think there's quite a bit of variation in leakage rates between individual
physics packages, and there's also variation in the accuracy of the
metering. I recently started up my spare 5061A after over a year in storage.
The Ion current meter showed zero with the Cs off but about 40 in the Open
Loop position. I tried connecting an external +3500V supply through a
microammeter as described in the manual and that showed less than 10 uA. The
unit kept trying to start and pulsed for about 12 hours at a peak reading of
40 and then settled down nicely to a zero reading and hasn't missed  a beat
since.

I have a spare tube sitting here that hasn't been powered up for several
years. It was removed from a junked 5061A that wouldn't start at all but
after the unit was parted out some failed caps were found in one of the
modules that could have explained the fault. I plan to try it on the bench
with the +3500 V supply and microammeter but I don't know whether I can
trust the reading. If the tube in one of my functioning units fails one day
then I'll give it a try.

Morris