[time-nuts] HP5061 Cesium ion pump question

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 15:21:42 UTC 2020

When I found my HP5061A lingering in a skip, soaked in rainwater some 20
plus years ago, I thought I'd be lucky if it was only good for the OCXO,
and never even contemplated it might be fully working.  I first left it in
a warm room for a week to dry out then, without having a clue about how to
get it going, tentatively plugged it in with the switch set to 'Caesium
off', and just left it alone to stabilise.   With no instructions that
seemed instinctively the right thing to do.   To my delight 5MHz appeared,
so I borrowed a Rb standard from work to check, and the OCXO was clearly
working well - very well - at first sight, just looking at traces on a
scope, the OCXO seemed as stable  and accurate as the Rb was supposed to
be.   I already had an MSF reference at that time, so comparisons were made
against that too.

Over a period of a couple of weeks I just left teh 5061A running and put
out an appeal on the LF chat group on the  (still quite new then) Internet
for anyone who could help me with a manual.   SOme kind person trusted me
enough to actually post me their hard copy on loan, which I copied,
returned the original and studied thoroughly.  And discovered....

THE FIRST THING TO DO when powering up from cold is to leave it in standby
for several days / weeks to pump out the ions.   EXACTLY what I'd already
done! Without thinking.  So as soon as I'd read that paragraph, following
the instructions, tentatively switched to 'open-loop' and watched the meter
showing beam current rise.  After an hour or so when it appeared to have
settled,  (I was too excited to wait the recommended three) switched to
'OPER' and pressed the reset button.   The joy when the green light came on
!   A working Cs standard, recovered as scrap from a skip.   The light went
off after an hour, but pressing the button made it come back on, and it
stayed on from then on.

Further studying the manual, and vaguely knowing that unit's history and
politics surrounding the original owning organisation, (don't ask, I won't
say)  suggested there could actually  be a fair bit of life left in the
tube - beam current certainly suggested so.    The internal NiCd batteries
were completely dead and had a few green crystals on them, so I removed the
whole battery and its charging circuitry, substituted an LM317 regulator
set for 27.2V and used a pair of (old second hand) lead acid gel cells as
backup instead.   And there it sits to this day, on standby
continuously for over 20 years with the Cs switched on when wanted.
 Typically it only needs 35 - 45 minutes warm up, so I allow 1.5 - 2 hours
before any serious tests that need full accuracy.   Ironically, it's been
running for so long the only things to have failed have been my backup gel
cells - floated in series at 27.2V, one set bulged alarmingly after some 13
years, and another pair died such that it couldn't hold-up even standby for
more than about 15 minutes when mains went off.   I replaced those only two
weeks ago.

The only thing I've never tried is calibrating out local magnetic field
using Zeeman lines.   Not having the Cs running continuously, I suspect
this would be a pointless exercise  anyway, and the loss of a few parts in
10^-13 don't over-worry me.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com