[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt has No satellites

Gregory Beat w9gb at icloud.com
Thu Dec 3 21:20:52 UTC 2020

Jan -

Your Posted Display (Thunderbolt Monitor)
shows that NO GPS Signals are being Received / Data Output to your Computer.
—
CHECK your Antenna, Coax, and Connectors : Your problem is appears to be there.

Use a SECOND +5 Volt GPS Antenna ... to Verify Thunderbolt is Not at Fault.
CAUTION: NEWER GPS Antennas are often ONLY +3.3 Volt ...
and could damage pre-amplifier within GPS antenna or Thunderbolt.
—
I have a Trimble Thunderbolt (RED), Surplus from a 911 Call Center when 2019 WNRO Event occurred.
Running very well with Lady Heather version 6.14 Beta.
** IF you are using a Serial to USB converter ... Latest Windows 10 has a BUG for USB 3.0 hubs.
Microsoft promises “fix” ASAP (likely next 4 weeks). **
==
Week Number RollOver (WNRO) is a known GPS issue,
NOT corrected by MANY GPS manufacturers (firmware oversight, planned obsolescence, etc.)
https://www.trimble.com/WNRO/

The First GPS WNRO event occurred in 1999.
The Second WNRO occurred on April 6, 2019, at GPS Midnight.
—
The Trimble Thunderbolt (RED and older OEM models) is NOT Upgradable by Trimble.
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/tbolt/Thunderbolt-2003-11.pdf

Trimble sells the Thunderbolt-E (BLUE label) as the replacement.
https://www.trimble.com/Timing/thunderbolt-e.aspx

—
LADY HEATHER (LH) version 6.xx BETA for Windows corrects the WNRO date that LH displays. Trimble Thunderbolt still outputs (serial data) the incorrect date.

Mark Sims (texaspyro) posted the Link and Instructions on EEVBLOG (February 22, 2018)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/lady-heather-v6-beta-for-windows-exe/msg1434005/#msg1434005
===

greg, w9gb
chicago