[time-nuts] HP5061 Cesium ion pump question

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Dec 4 17:32:38 UTC 2020

Hi

Having watched a number of Cs tubes die …..

Measuring ADEV on your Cs is a good idea. As the tube goes downhill the
signal to noise often gets worse. This shows up even at relatively short tau
ADEV ( like 100 to 1000 seconds).  On a 5061 era device, this means doing
ADEV at the 1x10^-11 to 1x10^-12 level in the 100 to 1000 second range.

A good (as in eBay for < $100) OCXO *might* cover this range adequately.
A Telecom Rb probably is a better bet if you want to do a bit less “shopping”
for your reference.

If you have a counter that does 2x10^-11 at 1 second, it *should* get you
into the right range at 100 to 1,000 seconds. No need for ultra fancy setups.
We’re not trying to show how *good* a working one is with this test. We’re
only trying to catch the “end of life” of the tube.

Why bother? The compelling reason for playing with a Cs is accuracy. If
the SNR has the stability degraded by 10X (or more ….) it will take you a
*very* long time ( = very long observation times) to get to that accuracy.
Indeed, the same things that degrade the SNR *may* degrade the accuracy
as well.

Does this mean that all old tubes are junk? No it most certainly does not
mean that. There isn’t a lot of correlation between this and that and the
SNR (as the term is arbitrarily used above). After pumping down for a
while, it may be doing fine. It also may not be. If, even after extended
this or that, it’s still very noisy, you might want to factor that into what
you decide to do next.

Bob