[time-nuts] Ublox 8T

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Dec 9 22:58:51 UTC 2020

Hi

What you want around the uBlox depends a lot on what you are trying to do.

These days, putting an MCU directly on this or that is a pretty cheap option.
(very much so if you are using JLPCB).

Do you isolate / buffer this or that?  Full RS-232 I/O adds a chip and a few parts.

Do you regulate this and that on the board? Is the antenna supply independent of
the module? Do you have full sensing on the antenna supply?

For some, part of the mix is a delay chip to handle the sawtooth correction. Very
much a “that depends” sort of thing.

Do you put a counter / TDC of some sort on the board to do a compare to an external
PPS? (At this point this list just about has a full GPSDO buried in it ….)

Lots of choices and lots of directions you could go.

One of the reasons I really like JLPCB is that you can do up 5 of a board like this,
with a lot of parts populated and still not have spent $100 (delivered ….).  As long
as you have confidence in the footprints, the risk is pretty small.

One note: JLPCB is the only “fab + assembly” outfit I’ve tried. Their boards are
no better / no worse than a lot of other board fab outfits. I have no idea how they
compare to other assembly houses. My selection criteria: “ are they the cheapest
I can find?” :)

Bob