[time-nuts] Ublox 8T - breakout board

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Sat Dec 12 08:49:55 UTC 2020

On Samstag, 12. Dezember 2020 00:42:11 CET Bryan _ wrote:
> What is the difference between the LEA vs NEO variants other than
> mechanical, electrical specifications. Is one better for using as a GPSDO.

The LEA module has a built-in antenna bias circuit, you get a simple antenna
supervisor with just two external components. Apart from that they're using
the same core chipset.

I've attached the schematic for the LEA-M8 breakout board I'm doing for my own
purposes, the PCB is mostly ready, I'm just touching it up a bit to make it
look more tidy.

I plan to have it assembled using JLCPCBs SMT service, if any of you want to
tug along, I'll provide the BOM and part placement file together with the
gerbers so that it can be easily ordered.

I have some constraints regarding the connectors and some mounting holes and
overall size, but there's some space on the PCB left for small additions
should any of you have sensible suggestions.

About the only task left is to find a suitable LDO in their catalog. JLC have
recently up'd MOQ for many of their parts and they're also charging for
attrition. The LDO I was using before suddently costs $5 in small quantities.
I'll have to find a replacement.

BR,
Matthias