[time-nuts] DHS Resilient PNT Conformance Framework

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Thu Dec 17 22:30:33 UTC 2020

Hi Bob,

Yes, there is that too. NIST insisted to have me involved, so I got
involved.

This is pretty high level, because it was needed, but many low-level
details was discussed and then we backed out with that common ground.
Some of the IT-security approaches does not really work on the
RF-interface. It's not that it can't be hacked, but it works so
differently and with much lower bit-rate... and one-way, that the
security analysis becomes quite different about how attacks can be done.
After that we concluded it's good to mention, but this is not relevant
for all interfaces. :)

There is many ways to achieve the different levels, but we wanted to
make a number of key rules to sort things out, they form a form of
minimum set of requirements. Normal receivers achieve level 0.

Some receivers "hang" after being upset by some input. "hang" to the
level it needs vendor intervention. So one learning is that the user
must be able to force the receiver into a "known state".

Cheers,
Magnus