[time-nuts] SMPS or conventional?

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Dec 22 03:05:35 UTC 2020

On 12/21/20 5:59 PM, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote:

> Both agree that ripple > 1 KHz is harmless. But then the current
> delivered
> to the TEC is quite large usually -  and It's a different question if
> you want such
> large and dirty currents on your table or in your device.

Yes.. we were testing a sensitive receiver for 5-30 MHz, and were
thinking the TEC would be the best way to step it through the
temperature sequence for calibration.  Even with the receiver in a box,
and coax for the test signal, the noise from the PWM completely
obliterated the signals of interest.

On the other hand, we used that same TEC unit to run simulated lunar
regolith up and down in temperature, hooked up to a gas analyzer.  That
was fine.

https://tetech.com/product-category/temperature-controllers/