[time-nuts] SMPS or conventional?

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Dec 22 17:27:38 UTC 2020

Yes, the physical/thermal stress wear and tear depends on the device
response relative to the ripple frequency. TECs aren't the only things
with these issues - even modern high power LEDs used for illumination
are known to last longest when run from "pure" DC, for a given average
power level.

For our sorts of applications, the ripple issues should be moot. As has
been mentioned, we don't want TEC drive ripple signals near precision,
sensitive circuits either, so properly filtering and cleaning the
applied power both reduces electrical interference, and prolongs the TEC
life. Except for the increased complexity, who wouldn't want that?

Ed