[time-nuts] Low Phase Noise Amplifiers

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Jan 11 15:39:29 UTC 2020

A VERY long time ago, it was discovered that simply
degenerating a transistor with an emitter resistor
makes a worthwhile improvement in 1/f noise.  I
want to say this was published in 1970 by Dick Baugh
of HP but don't hold me to it.  Note that the resistor
was NOT bypassed:  it's purpose was RF feedback, and
any stabilization of bias current was incidental.
The resistor value was a few dozens of ohms.  That
is not enough to do anything special in terms of
stabilizing collector current.

In oscillators, a designer might want to use a high
performance bias stabilization scheme to minimize
frequency drift (as opposed to noise).

Various publications out of NIST (Fred Walls, et al)
recommend using a transistor with high Ft vs the
operating frequency to get low 1/f noise.  This becomes
more important when working at 100 MHz vs 10 MHz.
As far as bias is concerned, the main emphasis seems
to be on using a bias scheme that doesn't ADD noise
to the amplifier.

Rick N6RK