[time-nuts] low power divide by 5

Mike Ingle finndmike62 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 07:47:39 UTC 2020

Hi,

As suggested by others, another approach could be to use a cpld of some
type, for example look at the lattice mach  or the old cool-runner
varieties.
You can usually DDR the clock.  This should give the same symmetry as the
input clock.  With a 50% duty cycle 50MHz input this should give a 10MHz
50% output;
In VHDL for example:

process(clk)
begin
if (rising_edge(clk) or falling_edge(clk)) then
  if (cnt < 5) then
    cnt <= cnt + 1;
  else
    cnt <= 0;
    divided_by_five <= not(divided_by_five);
  end if;
 end if;
end process;

and there are usually built in DDR IP's from the vendors.

-- mike