[time-nuts] 30 MHz freq adjust by Hz

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jul 1 14:14:29 UTC 2020

Hi

There is a NIST paper (somewhere) that has an example of doing this. Like any image
reject mixer approach, it only does just so well. It’s no different than generating SSB
the same way. You get a spur that is 40 to 60 db down at the “image” frequency. You can
tweak this or that to get it to the 60 db point, how long it will stay there …. that depends … :)

Since you are summing a very low frequency signal with a very high frequency one, the
accuracy of the low frequency signal does not need to be very good. A 1% accurate
5 Hz will be off by 0.05 Hz. Your combo also will only be off by 0.05Hz. For a lot of
Ham sort of stuff, that’s plenty good enough.

Indeed, the noise of the 5Hz and the mixer setup does get into the act. That may
rule out a simple R/C oscillator as the source of the 5 Hz “tone”…..

Bob