[time-nuts] low power divide by 5

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jul 2 15:01:34 UTC 2020

The sum of propagation delay (~15 ns) and setup time (~5 ns)
in the 74AC161 gives just enough time to operate at 50 MHz,
based on the data sheet.  Of course, at room temp, the chip
will beat the data sheet by an undetermined margin.

The fact that the clock frequency is specified at 103 MHz
applies only to a free running configuration (divide by
2, 4, 8, or 16 only) and is irrelevant to dividing by 5.
If only there were a 74HC160 version.  Actually, you
can get them from Rochester Electronics ... but you have
to buy $250 worth minimum.

As noted, my favorite trick of connecting pin 11 to pin 9
is no help in this logic family because they finally did
the carry out correctly.

Rick N6RK