[time-nuts] 1PPS questions

VE7HR ve7hr at ve7hr.ca
Fri Jul 3 01:12:17 UTC 2020

Hi Dana,
I will look closer at the 1 PPS.
I found I had the scope setup wrong and the 1 PPS is 3.84V when terminated in 50 Ohms.
And about 5V with overshoot when terminates in a higher impedance.  I will take some measurements and determine the output impedance of the GPSDO 1PPS and design a suitable pad.  Since the pods of the 5372A are always terminated in 50 Ohms the risk of damage is much less.

I will also look at how HP did the 2.5:1 attenuator in the pod.  It might be a good place to start on an external attenuator design.

Thanks for suggestions.

Dave
VE7HR

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 2, 2020, at 10:53 AM, Dana Whitlow <k8yumdoober at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I like Bob's suggestion about using an L-pad.  Even if the line driver *is*
> happy driving
> 50 ohm line (which I was admittedly assuming), the L-pad approach will keep
> the
> driver cooler which will likely reduce warmup drift of its propagation
> delay as well as
> extend its lifetime.
>
> Dana
>

>> On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 9:20 AM Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Probably the easiest approach is an L pad at the input to the measurement
>> device.
>> Something like a 470 ohm in series and a 120 ohm to ground. A 50 ohm pad
>> may not make the line driver in the source device very happy ….
>>
>> Something more exotic would be to do a distribution amp. Use a NC7SZ125 at
>> the
>> input so it’s 5V tolerant. Run however many of them you need to drive the
>> desired
>> number of outputs.  Power it all off of 2V and you have 2V p-p output(s).
>>
>> Keep in mind that 2V p-p “logic” signals may or may not trigger CMOS level
>> stuff
>> powered off of 3.3V. CMOS running on 5V gets into the “not going to
>> happen”
>> area.
>>
>> Bob

>>> Are there any suggested method to reduce your 1 PPS signal to a safe
>> level for your test equipment?
>>> It seems like my HP Z8316A is outputting slightly more than 5V into 50
>> Ohms.
>>>
>>> Up till now I have been using a 10 MHz output from the Z3816A. But I
>> understand 1PPS is a better signal to put to Channel A.
>>>
>>> My HP 5372A seems to default to 2V Max level if you hit instrument
>> default.  I am starting to like it so I don’t want to trash an input
>> module.
>>>
>>> I think I might try a TICC in the near future but for now I will have to
>> slum with the vintage HP iron.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave