[time-nuts] Raspberry Pi NTP server

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Sat Jul 4 12:36:51 UTC 2020

On Samstag, 4. Juli 2020 11:30:01 CEST David J Taylor via time-nuts wrote:
> From: Matthias Welwarsky
> []
> Forgive me chiming in with a recommendation: Drop the Raspberry Pi and get a
> Beaglebone Black instead. It is the much better platform for timekeeping
> experiments.

[snip]

> BR,
> Matthias
>
> ... and it has much less general support
> ... and it generates more RF interference
> ... and it costs money as the OP already has the Raspberry Pi
>
> Neither make for "precision" sources.  I've yet to see a comparison between
> the BeagleBone and a Raspberry Pi 4.  I did make a comparison earlier which
> showed the BBB to be better, yes, but certainly not enough for me to change
> given the other factors.

David,

I've seen your comparison in the list archives. However, none of the
approaches I have seen published so far (including yours) exploit all the
possibilities I mentioned.

The Raspi having better community support doesn't help if the platform itself
is unfit for the purpose. It might be OK as a general purpose NTP server if
you don't have any special requirements to accuracy, but for a PTPv2
grandmaster, having the ethernet behind a USB interface is a no-go.

Regarding the RF interference - I'm running a Ublox M8T module directly
mounted on the BBB via my custom GPSDO cape. It is working just fine.
Disabling the onboard HDMI encoder might be the "secret sauce" for success.

BR,
Matthias