[time-nuts] Raspberry Pi NTP server

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 9 00:08:54 UTC 2020

On 7/8/20 4:40 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> stevesommarsntp at gmail.com said:
>> My RPi4 (Raspbian Buster) has a GPS+PPS/USB.  Serial->USB uses Prolific
>> PL2303, which supports USB 2.0
>
>> which means 1 msec polling of the PPS signal.   I've been unable to poll more
>> frequently
>
> As far as I know, the PL2303, 067b:2303, is an old/slow chip.  (I forget the
> right magic USB terms)  Why do you expect it to go faster than 1 ms?

The underlying frame rate on USB (even the slowest USB1.0) is 8kHz, so
it's not unreasonable to expect that a chip might be able to "poll" a
status signal at that rate.

> It and the FTDI chip(s) are popular and widely known to be well supported on
> Linux.  I'll be very surprised if it goes faster.

There is that.  OTOH, drivers do get updated. One could probably, if you
were hard core, look at the device driver code in the Linux distro and
figure it out.