[time-nuts] Raspberry Pi NTP server

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 9 00:19:14 UTC 2020

On 7/8/20 4:40 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> stevesommarsntp at gmail.com said:
>> My RPi4 (Raspbian Buster) has a GPS+PPS/USB.  Serial->USB uses Prolific
>> PL2303, which supports USB 2.0
>
>> which means 1 msec polling of the PPS signal.   I've been unable to poll more
>> frequently
>
> As far as I know, the PL2303, 067b:2303, is an old/slow chip.  (I forget the
> right magic USB terms)  Why do you expect it to go faster than 1 ms?
>
> It and the FTDI chip(s) are popular and widely known to be well supported on
> Linux.  I'll be very surprised if it goes faster.

it will support pretty high baud rates, though: 1,228,800 bps

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c

I suspect it might have something to do with how interrupts are handled
in Linux.  Typically when an interrupt comes in, the interrupt handler
sets a flag in the driver saying "interrupt came in", perhaps latching
some status, and then returns from the interrupt immediately (so that
the time spent in interrupt state is small).  Then, at the next
scheduling interval, a thread that is blocked waiting for the interrupt
becomes alive, and actually does the rest of the processing.