[time-nuts] HP 5316B External Reference

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jul 12 01:14:31 UTC 2020

Hi

The “typical” HP counter for many decades has phase locked an internal oscillator to
the external reference. I have not seen any designs that use injection locking. Given the
somewhat crazy math associated with injection locking, this is not a big surprise.

By modern standards the 5316 is not all that fancy. It will give you 7 digits / second. The
5334 / 5335 series (from the 1970’s) will do 9 digits / second. The 53131 / 53132 series (
from the 1980’s)  is in the 10 digits / second region. The “modern” 5323x series can
add another digit to that.

The more modern stuff does this and that to add another digit to the numbers above.
The “value” of that added digit has been debated in several (hundred) threads …..

So: Does your GPSDO “help” a 5316? If it’s crazy far out of adjustment, then sure it does.
Given it’s lower resolution it will not be “helped” as much as a more modern device.

Bob