[time-nuts] Raspberry Pi NTP server

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jul 12 14:15:20 UTC 2020

stevesommarsntp at gmail.com said:
> I'd like to reduce the USB polling contribution by polling at 125
> microseconds as the Linux PPS folks suggest (http://linuxpps.org/doku.php/
> technical_information)    Would an FTDI-based USB convertor do the trick?

It depends on which FTDI chip you use.  Both Prolific and FTDI make many
chips.  The common ones are slow, polling at 1 ms.

The FT232R does poll at 125 microseconds.  I got mine on a breakout board from
AdaFruit.  I also got a GPS chip on a breakout board to connect up to it.

Don't forget hanging bridges.  I don't know of any NTP software that knows
about them.

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> I would not expect another kind of USB to serial converter to do better.  The
> problem is higher up in the way that Linux handles USB devices.

I can't quite figure out what you are saying.  The USB rules say that the
chips commonly used for serial ports get polled at 1 ms.  The FT232R says it
goes faster and it works as expected at 125 microseconds.

Linux may have troubles with USB code, but I'm not sure how that impacts PPS
processing.  The PPS timestamp is captured at interrupt time.  What else
matters after that?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.