[time-nuts] Novatel GPS documentation

Skip Withrow skip.withrow at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 00:42:07 UTC 2020

 Hello time-nuts,
Well, it looks like Hexagon (that purchased Novatel) is doing the same
thing that Microchip did to Symmetricom.  It appears that all
documentation to products before the OEM7 model has now become
unobtainium.

I have both an OEM4-G2 and OEM6 (628) receiver.  These are dual-band
L1/L2 receivers, AND the really nice feature is that they have
external (5 or 10 MHz) clock inputs.  This allows a source to be
tested to be input as the GPS receiver clock, GPS data to be
collected, converted to RINEX file, submitted for post-processing, and
ADEV plotted with TimeLab or Stable32. It's a bit cumbersome, but the
technique allows you to adjust for the time scale of interest and
results are very accurate.  But I digress.

I went looking for OEM4 information today and could not find a PDF of
the user manual that I could download.  Apparently, I had neglected to
do this in the past and just used the Novatel site.  So, If anyone has
any Novatel information (manuals) perhaps uploading them to the KO4BB
archive would be useful.  I know I have the OEM6 information and will
try to get it placed there soon.  There is a directory for Novatel
(under GPS).

Regards,
Skip Withrow