[time-nuts] Just any counter external reference and discipline mode.

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 13 19:56:42 UTC 2020

On 7/13/20 11:27 AM, paul swed wrote:
> Taka
> I firmly believe the first answer to your question is cost.
> Was the counter an economical unit or higher quality.
> My 5335 counters have seriously cheap xtal clocks and an external reference
> makes a big difference.
> But the larger costly generators and counters seem to use the phase lock
> approach. I suspect it also filters the reference input.
> Regards
> Paul
> WB8TSL

There's a lot of lore out there that, for instance, HP would put
oscillators with good long term stability in counters, but for things
like a spectrum analyzer or signal generator, you'd use an oscillator
with good close in phase noise, because absolute frequency accuracy
isn't as important, but ability to make close in measurements with high
dynamic range is.

I would also not make any assumptions about continuity of design,
especially when it changes from an all analog to a DDS based design. A
synthesizer using analog synthesis with PLLs would smoothly sweep, while
a DDS design typically goes in discrete steps (unless specifically
designed for smooth sweeps), and may or may not be phase continuous
across steps.