[time-nuts] WWVB PM Time Questions

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 02:09:45 UTC 2020

Hi Ray
Paul here and there is also a Rodger that may help.
How to address your questions at 10 pm.
With BPSK you can always lock on the wrong half. So after you lock the
local oscillator you then look for the sync signal pattern at the top of
the minute. The pattern is correct or inverted. You then know what to do.
Flip the local oscillator or invert the data. Either will get you the
correct stream data. Then its fun time decoding it.

With respect to the sample point John Lowe is correct. During the start of
the the AM signal drops about 20 DB intentionally as the second marker. So
if you sample in the 100 ms window the signal is weak. Sampling later
towards the end of the second gives the best signal strength.
With respect to the KD2BD design it works but there is a bad catch. The
oscillator he controlled is not available. I have tried to map other high
grade oscillators in and been unsuccessful. (But thats just me) Using a
GPSDO and slipping the phase with a HP 3336 generator. I can very nicely
align the carrier and it works quite well. But thats a complex radio to
build.

The STM32 (Bluepill) is a very good idea. Hmmm I wonder if that is why I
have one just over to my right. Its given me a heck of a time. Just trying
to get the bootloader going and then the simple blink program. I have not
worked on it in a bit as other things have cropped up.
Regards
Paul.