[time-nuts] WWVB PM Time Questions

Mark Haun mark at hau.nz
Wed Jul 22 16:44:08 UTC 2020

Hi Ray,

A similar project has been on my to-do list for a couple of years now
(so don't hold your breath!).  It should be possible to do this using
the built-in ADC for a really nice, minimalist demonstration of SDR
principles.  The STM32L4 series which I often use has a pretty decent
ADC: fast (5 MSPS), with about 11 good bits in differential mode, and
"proper" hardware downsampling (called the DFSDM in the manual).  If the
noise is white it should be easy to get > 16 good bits into the
demodulator.  My plan was to clock the MCU from a cheap OCXO and make it
part of the carrier tracking loop, for a simple WWVB disciplined oscillator.

I also have some questions about the NIST document, but in general, I
think you need to assume that your receiver is already locked, in which
case you know when to expect the transitions.  Getting to this point
(acquisition) is another story, but there are all sorts of
correlation-based tricks that you can use, similar to GPS code
acquisition.  As others have noted, carrier phase lock can be aided by
squaring.

My problem is that the SDR stuff is all pretty straightforward for me,
but the analog electronics leading up to the ADC are black magic.  I
have a preamp circuit modeled on John Magliacane's design
(http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2015/Nov-Dec_2015/Magliacane.pdf),
fed from a ~ 60-turn tuned loop made from old ribbon cable, but I am
having problems getting anything "reasonable" looking on the scope.  I
don't know if the problem is my suburban location or if you really can't
see the signal until you get the bandwidth << 1 kHz. (I am using
RC-tuned op-amp stages so the -3 dB response is necessarily a few kHz.)
Eventually I would like a small loopstick design with a crystal filter
like the off-the-shelf clocks use, but I haven't a clue how to get
there.  Maybe this project would benefit from a collaboration :)

Regards,
Mark