[time-nuts] "Best Practices" for cascading L1 GPS Antenna Distribution Amplifiers

JAMES ROBBINS jsrobbins at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 23 13:34:11 UTC 2020

I am wondering if anyone either knows (or can point me to some pertinent information regarding) the "best practices" for feeding L1 to two HP/Symmetricom 58517A (8 port) Distribution Amplifiers?

1.  Can I simply choose one of the first amplifier’s ports and use that to feed the L1 RF to the input of the second unit?

2.  What about the DC needs of the second amplifier?

3.  Or, should I use, say, a 58512A (2 port) unit and distribute its’ 2 outputs, one to each of the inputs of the two 58517A units?

4.  Or, perhaps it doesn’t really matter, as the 58512A outputs are ultimately the same thing as using one of the first 58517A outputs to feed the second 58517A?

Thoughts appreciated.

Jim Robbins
N1JR