[time-nuts] Double balanced mixer question

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Thu Jul 23 22:23:50 UTC 2020

Hi Corby,

On 2020-07-23 20:01, cdelect at juno.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm feeding 5.0 MHZ and 5.000001MHz into an HP10514A mixer.
>
> A buffer and a 12dB attenuator feed each input and a 50 Ohm buffer amp
> (10Mhz) is on the output.
>
> I get a nice sine output but get the 1Hz as amplitude variations.
>
> Playing with input levels I can minimize the variations but the best I
> can get is a 3.2 V P-P with a .4 V P-P amplitude modulation.
>
> Are there mixer schemes I can use that will eliminate the amplitude
> variations?

If you high-pass filte rout the 1 Hz, do you still get variations?

Depending on how you detect these, the 1 Hz may confuse you.

It can be a bit easier if you have larger frequency difference to start
with, since you can analyze the 10 MHz easier with spectrum analyzer or
SSB receiver.

Cheers,
Magnus