[time-nuts] WWVB PM Time Questions

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Jul 30 19:45:03 UTC 2020

Ray,

 > How do the La Crosse distributors sell the ULTRATOMIC clock for $35-$40.

That's a bit lower than a few years ago when it first came out.

 > Building a million clocks would get the cost down,

In this case, likely thousands not millions. The market for WWVB clocks
took a hit in the 21st century when GPS, the internet, WiFi, and smart
phones took over.

 > I'm sure there are a lot of transistors in their IC to handle all the
phase tracking and time decoding.

Read about the ES100 chip inside the UltrAtomic clock. Also note it's
not a "phase tracking" receiver per se. It's purpose is to get UTC via
the subcode, not to track NIST / WWVB carrier phase. Technical documents
can be found here:

http://everset-tech.com/

 > It is obvious they don't have a vcTCXO in the clock

Correct. For more details of the crystal(s) and typical performance see:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/ultratomic/

 > A lot of reviews say their clocks based on the AM modulation method
 > would not sync but the phase modulation ones always work.

Agreed. The amount of AM noise near 60 kHz is getting worse by the year
so, at least in my experience, the eWWVB phase modulation decoders work
much better than the legacy WWVB amplitude decoders.

/tvb