[time-nuts] WWVB PM Time Questions

Tim S tim.strommen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 22:38:46 UTC 2020

>From a signal processing point of view this problem interests me, so I
wanted to float an idea.

If I read the WWVB document correctly, the phase shifts are always going to
be +/-180° out of phase, but still the exact same frequency.  It would
stand to reason that if one wanted to detect this - one would want to start
by comparing two signals to the incoming clock, one normal and one inverted
(essentially, a differential signal).  Once the received RF clock frequency
is locked in phase with the local oscillator, adding the incoming signal to
both normal and inverted would be illuminating to see which phase is used
by simple RMS math.

180° out of phase added to the incoming signal would be zero ((+1) + (-1) =
0, while ((+1) + (+1) = 2 - then do your absolute RMS window over 1.5
cycles (three peaks).  Note that the out-of-phase signal would be zero when
correctly locked but would be greater than zero (absolute) if not locked.
These two analog outputs for each, can then have a hysteresis applied to
them to produce a logical output by feeding them into a comparator op-amp -
the phase tuning can then be steered from sampling the valid output phase
based on the binary selection (additional windowing two gate when phase
shifts are possible can steer the hysteresis values for noise robustness).

For example, bit transitions may only occur on bit edge transitions - so
detecting a phase shift and counting the center- to center of that phase
shift should help reject mid-bit-period errors.  You'd need to know this
window anyway to know when to clock in a phase bit state (middle 1/3rd or
middle 3/5ths).  Should be doable in hardware with some
counters/digital-comparators...

-Tim