[time-nuts] Answer found: HP53132A anomaly

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jun 3 20:57:29 UTC 2020

I worked in the R&D section that designed the HP53132 series at the
time it was designed.  This kind of stuff would be SOP where the
gate array designer (great engineer, I knew him well) does a proper
job, and then after the fact  marketing/manufacturing adds on
the rear connect because some big customer wants it.  If an
internal person like me caught this (like you just did), I
would be told to stop annoying marketing/manufacturing and they
would add a CYA clause to the manual and be done with it.

Another example of this in the 5313/8X series is that the
external reference buffer adds ADEV due to it being
added on later by non-experts.  This didn't degrade the
counter itself, but it messed up the daisy chain output.
Something like that.  It was 30+ years ago.

Trivia:  what was the code name for these counters:

"Major League Baseball"

Rick N6RK