[time-nuts] (print on demand) /// Re: time sync by moonbounce

W7SLS w7sls.scott at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:18:18 UTC 2020

> A quick search shows similar experiences with other print on demand books
> from Amazon.

Off topic:

	A closely related division within the company I worked for made ultrahigh speed printers
	Paper reels were maybe 2 m in diameter
	Connections between the computers and printer were fiber (copper was too slow).
	Printer, computer, and paper fill a _very_ large room (250 sq m?).
	I don’t know if they cost more than USD 1M.

	On a factory tour, I learned that virtually all amazon books (at least in US), other than,
	say, the latest #1 best seller in hard cover, are printed on demand.

	As is virtually all customized mail (e.g. financial statements, etc.)

	(Obviously) a poor scan will result in a poor print on demand book.

	But the print on demand process itself is amazing — ‘you wouldn’t even know’.

Best,
Scott W7SLS