[time-nuts] Vibration isolation of quartz oscillators

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 12:02:55 UTC 2020

I have three Oscilloquartz 8607-Bs that I'm rehousing.

In their former life they were part of the frequency synthesis chains
for H-masers and they hung vertically from a rubber suspension that was
presumably intended to provide vibration isolation. Unfortunately, the
person responsible for this has long since retired so is no longer
around to ask questions of.

In the experiment I will be averaging over  100 s, which suggests to
me that very low frequencies are what I need to filter out (if at
all), and I am skeptical that the rubber will do this. Space is tight
so I am wondering
whether I should simply ditch the isolation.

What do other people do with their quartzes ? I thought I should ask
for some advice before attempting measurements.

Cheers
Michael