[time-nuts] Vibration isolation of quartz oscillators

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 14:29:55 UTC 2020

If compactness is needed and you're operating in anything like a 1 g field,
I think that
it will be impossible to do a spring suspension that is both compact and
effective
down to the milli-Hz level (or less).

It might be worthwhile doing a compensation scheme based on a 3-axis
accelerometer
(one should suffice for multiple oscillators) whose outputs are scaled and
combined
to form a single signal (per oscillator) to be summed into the EFC input.

But some strong caveats immediately come to mind:
1. Noise in the accelerometers' outputs.
2. Dealing with the inevitable tuning nonlinearity of the oscillators.
3. Calibrating the compensation system well enough to satisfy.

Good luck.

Dana