[time-nuts] Microstepper

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Jun 29 15:01:44 UTC 2020

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 05:52:13 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> I have played with this one:
>
> 	http://www.rudius.net/oz2m/ngnb/dds.htm
>
> as a synthesizer replacement in the HP5065, but your "dual" configuration
> and the integrated 1GHz "pre-oscillator" would fit that purpose better,
> so sign me up as interested buyer.

As a synthesizer for a Rb vapor cell standard, I would recommend going the
same way as INRIM did in [1]. It is by far the lowest noise synthesizer I have
seen for the relevant offset frequency range. Yes, it is a quite high effort
system. But it's also worth it. With this, you are sure that the short term
noise limit will not be the synthesiser anymore, but the lamp noise.

In a discussion, Claudio Calosso told me that the difficult part of the
whole system is getting to 1.6GHz. That part determines most of the perfomrance.
The rest was "quiet easy".

			Attila Kinali

[1] "Simple-design ultra-low phase noise microwave frequency synthesizers for
high-performing Cs and Rb vapor-cell atomic clocks", by François, Calosso, Abdel Hafiz,
Micalizio, Boudot.

--
Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious
after they are explained. -- Pardot Kynes