[time-nuts] 3 Gorges dam slows down Earth's rotation by 60 ns/day

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jun 29 17:53:57 UTC 2020

Rick,

See also the NASA press release from 2005:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2005-009

The formal paper about the 3 Gorges calculation is here (4 pages, PDF):

"Time-variable gravity signal during the water impoundment of China’s
Three-Gorges Reservoir"
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1029/2002GL016457

For many more like it google for: Richard Gross rotation day

It's worth a minute to look through the search results. What you'll find
is that anytime there's a large earth deformation event (e.g.,
earthquake, tsunami) Richard Gross and Benjamin Fong Chao at NASA
Goddard make a *theoretical* prediction about earth rotation. They are
legitimate scientists but unfortunately the popular press often distorts
or sensationalizes their modest findings. The link you quoted was
particularly poor in this respect.

Some technical discussion here:

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/45370/will-chinas-three-gorges-dam-slow-down-earths-rotation

A long list of resources:

https://physics.info/rotational-momentum/resources.shtml

And if you haven't see it before, I have phase, frequency, and ADEV
plots of earth here:

http://leapsecond.com/museum/earth/

/tvb