[time-nuts] FEI Nanosync 2

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 30 06:41:19 UTC 2020

Hi.

Firstly, I don't "know" the device you've got, but it may only be possible to intercept the timecode and correct it there "on the fly".

Unless, you can update the firmware on the FEI device, if such is available.  (You could contact FEI-Zyfer and ask?)

It may be easier just replace it with a Pi, or other PC hardware (anything from a Pentium-1 class box or later) running a bare bones FreeBSD with a generic GPS RX that can also supply a PPS signal, and have that work as your local NTP time source, internally correcting for the roll-over(s) (if the GPS can't handle it itself.)

It can also be configured to use external (if access is available) NTP time sources in the event your local GPS RX dies, someone covers it up, is killed & eaten by a passing dragon or whatever.

Lots of info here ( http://satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html ) for example...   No affiliation.

Or, replace it with a Nanosync 4  ( http://www.fei-zyfer.com/time_sync.htm )  If those later devices do the right thing, & funds are available etc etc.

Or, a LeoNTP device.  ( https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=92 )  Again, no affiliation, but I hear they are good.

Regards.