[time-nuts] WWVB teensy BPSK early experiments

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 1 01:48:30 UTC 2020

On 10/31/20 5:42 PM, paul swed wrote:
> Jim
> Thanks for the details. I took a serious look at popping the xtal out and
> am afraid its a bit beyond me since there are 4 pads that need to be
> heated. I have worked on very small stuff under the microscope. But this
> seems problematic. I sort of thought all the bits would get upset. No free
> lunch.

It's only hard if you want to save the crystal for later use <grin>.
Soldering iron right on the top of the crystal package, all 4 pads get
soft, scrape it off with the xacto knife.

Then, solder on the tiny wires from a coax pigtail. Blob of superglue to
keep it from breaking off.

I had about 50 of them, so if I broke it, I had more to try, but it
worked ok.

But, as noted, not particularly useful.