[time-nuts] Changes in commercial GPS clocks over the decades

The Fiber Guru fiber.guru at fiber.guru
Sun Nov 1 21:29:40 UTC 2020

This is a good example of the difference between metrology and operational terminology.  Yes, not traceable in the strict sense of a metrologist, but in this instance, “traceability” implies the reported Stratum level of the delivered clock signal.  For example, if I receive a clock signal with label of PRS, it is believed to originate from a clock that is using GPS to discipline the oscillator.  While that is no guarantee of its stability, it is at least an indicator to use when decisioning where the network element will derive synchronization.

When visiting NIST, they always tend to treat any clock source as inherently unstable.  This can be concerning until you understand they are thinking it terms of 23 places or more behind the decimal point, where as a network operators we are happy with magnitudes less than that.  All a degree of perspective.

db